Hello

Welcome to my blog, a place where I can lose myself in a crafty haven. Pull up a comfy chair grab a cuppa and come and have a read. Oh and if you like what you see, stop by and leave me some love in the comments section

Followers

Sunday, August 2, 2020

For The Guys

Good afternoon! Another quiet relaxing weekend in the Smith home again. I am really enjoying the weekends not dashing about, doing a bit of yard work which now include includes harvesting from our garden.

Today's post is to show my work for the next classes in my Altenew Educator Certificate program, For The Guys By Jennifer, a great set of classes if you struggle to come up with male themed cards

My first card's inspiration was the galaxy class Jennifer taught:


I figured our wonderful world is out there in the Milky Way Galaxy so I used the Big World stamp and die set.
I started by making my galaxy. on Solar white cardstock I ink blended a number of distress inks to give me the dark sky. I then used a combination of paint pen and splatters of watercolor paint to add my stars and comets. This was then put to one side to dry.
I stamped my world with Altenew Inks in Caribbean Sky, Frayed Leaf and Forest Glade. I also blended the same colors onto a scrap of white card. I die cut my Earth and also die cut the word 'world' from the ink blended card scrap.
Once my background was dry I stamped the 'what a wonderful' stamp using embossing ink and then heat embossed with white powder. It is important to make sure your card is dry and to use an embossing buddy on the background or the embossing powder will stick where you don't need it!. Finally I matted a 4.25 x 5.5 card base with green cardstock and my galaxy. My earth and world sentiment were adhered in place.

My next card was an adaptation of Jennifer's geometric class. I looked through the Altenew stamp sets I have to find something I could use. Moroccan Mosaic has these little extra stamps that fit with the theme:



 I chose to use 2 stamps. I started with drawing a pencil line across a piece of solar white cardstock. I used the as a guide for my stamping I started with Desert Night ink and stamped the 2 stamps alternately across the card. I then repeated this 3 more times with Dark Night, Cloudy Sky and Misty Morning Ink. This gave me my geometric pattern which I feel looks almost like a tire tread mark
I used a sentiment from the same set, stamping it over the lightest pattern with Jet Black Ink.
I matted a grey card base with coordinating blue cardstock and added the topper to the center of this, I did cut this shorter on the long sides to draw the eye to the pattern.

My last card is a fun one Jennifer made the Windy Men from Altenew's Congrats stamp set wobble by making springs for them. I thought this was so much fun so had to recreate it:


I started by building my men and stamping them with jet black ink, they were then colored with alcohol markers and fussy cut. 
Next I used a piece of checkerboard card stock, cut it to size to fit my black 4.25 x 5.5in card base. I decided to add some detail with this and cut the corner away diagonally, trimmed the piece I cut off in to 4 pieces. I glued the main piece to my card base and then added 2 alternate piece back into the corner. I then added 2 strips of black card to the bottom of the base card just to add to the pattern.

Now to build the wobbles, I used a 20g wire and coiled 2 lengths around the end of a paint brush giving me 2 springs. These were glued to the bottom end of my windy men and then glued to my card. This stands them proud from the card and when you play with them they wobble.
Finally I stamped the Hooray and 'You did it!" sentiments with embossing ink and heat embossed with white embossing powder.

I am continuing to learn so many new techniques doing the Altenew Educator Certificate Course, and yes they can be applied to all my card making not just Altenew!

Thank you for stopping by and I hope if you like what you see you will let me know in the comments section.





5 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Sharon your cards are gorgeous. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Claire said...

Oh I need to do this class! I really struggle with masculine cards
Claire Mrs H's Crafty Corner

TeresaQ said...

Your galaxy background is awesome!

Fikreta said...

Wonderful cards!

Erum Tasneem said...

What a fab variety of cards!! I like all of them. Also, a well-written post too! Good work!
Thank you for entering your work to the AECP assignment gallery.