Hello

Welcome to my blog, a place where I can lose myself in a crafty haven. Pull up a comfy chair grab a cuppa and come and have a read. Oh and if you like what you see, stop by and leave me some love in the comments section

Followers

Saturday, September 11, 2021

Altenew Educators Certification Program - Level 2 Final Challenge Part 1

 Good afternoon. we have been busy this week, I have my usual 4 dogs and am dog sitting another 4 so chaos in our home!

My post today is the first part of my AECP level 2 challenge. 

The challenge is to make 4 masculine cards with themes of birthday, Love/Thinking of you, Anniversary and encouragement. This alone would have been a challenge before the course - male cards are a struggle for most card makers I think.

The challenge is also to use three techniques I have learned so far, for 2 of these I chose to use to techniques that are out of my comfort zone and know would challenge me - ink blending and scene building. My 3rd technique is die cutting, I own lots of Altenew stamps but not many dies so again this was a challenge to use what I have.

My first card was my birthday card and I chose to do a safari scene using Geometric Menagerie dies and a Happy Birthday stamp from the Floral Sprig stamp set.


I started with a piece of white Bristol smooth cardstock and using 5 inks I blended a backdrop for my scene.


Next was die cutting my images from black cardstock. As there is only a left facing giraffe die, I cut 2 and smoothed the edges of the second with a bone folder which gave me a mirror image. Wit the remainder of the black card I hand cut my landscape



Once I checked placement I decided to go with the waste from my landscape as I had cut this with a smaller 'hill'
Using white embossing powder I heat embossed 'Happy Birthday" on to the hill.



I trimmed the excess black card and adhered my scene to a black A2 card base.

My next card is my love/ thinking of you card. I made a galaxy scene using the Big World stamp and die set with little added stars from Starry Night die set.


I started this by die cutting and stamping my world layers 

 

 

Next I ink blending a galaxy background on to Bristol smooth cardstock using 6 different ink colors. I splattered white paint to add stars.


Once this was dry I worked out where I want my scene to sit and die cut into my scene. The rest of my sentiment was heat embossed in white around the word. I matted this onto silver mirror card stock so the world word and stars would shine through.


    

Finally my word was added and the scene was adhered to a black A2 card base.

I hope you are still with me - I did warn this is a loooong post 😁

Ok next is Anniversary. For this card I used the Modern Fox stamp set, I also used Moroccan Mosaic stamp.


I started with the top layer of my card and ink blended a piece of Bristol Smooth with 4 blue inks. Once this was dry I used a pigment ink to stamp the Mosaic pattern over the whole card I then heat embossed this with clear powder to give it a shine. Finally I cut an aperture with one of the Soda Top nesting dies.




I then moved on to my scene, I inked blended a second piece of Bristol Smooth with lighter blue inks to give me a back drop.
I then laid the die cut piece over this and using a pencil marked out where my aperture would lay.





You can see the marks on the second photo, These were erased once I had stamped my scene. I love the way the layers of these stamps build that little fox.
I placed the 2 pieces together to work out where I wanted my sentiment and then stamped this with black pigment ink and heat embossed with clear ink to tie in with the pattern on the outer layer





I trimmed both these layers to 4x5.5in and adhered them together.

This panel was then added to my card base with foam tape to give dimension. A few clear gems where added to the blue panel.
After I had made the card I decided to add a couple of hearts around my sentiment - It is an Anniversary card after all.



My final card is my favorite and the one with the most detail. I just love the spectacular Adventures Stamp and die set and had planned to use them for a shaker card so this challenge was the perfect opportunity to do this. They also fit with my final theme - Encouragement.


I started this card by die cutting the glasses from a piece of Bristol smooth cardstock. I then used this as a stencil to draw the glasses onto a piece of Neenah Solar white so I knew where to stamp the beach image. This was then colored with alcohol markers.

         



     

I then went back to the die cut piece, lining it up with the colors on my stamped image I ink blended  beachy colors. I then glued a piece of acetate to the reverse of this, covering the die cut negative.





I then laid the glasses stamp into the die cut area and stamped on to the acetate with solvent black ink. 



(There is a piece of white card behind the panel in the second photo so glasses showed up on photo)

I then placed foam tape on the back of this making sure to leave no gaps around the glasses as my shaker elements would fall out!
I used prills for my shaker particles these are small enough to represent sand.


I placed the prills over the stamped and colored image to make it easier to line up the glasses and then adhered the top panel over this.
I added my sentiment just below the glasses.
 I wanted black gems and didn't have any so a tip I picked up from the classes was to color my own with a marker so the ones on the card started out as grey ones!
Finally my panel was added to an A2 card base.


Here's a little video so you can see the shaker element


If you've made it to the end congratulations! 

Please tag me on Instagram if you've been inspired to give these techniques a go as I would love to see your creations!

Part 2 of this challenge can be found here I would love for you to read that also 



Altenew products I used:

Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 110lb Coverstock
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 110lb Coverstock
Purchase From:
SSS | AZN | ALW
Crisp Dye Ink - Blush
Crisp Dye Ink - Blush
Purchase From:
ALW
Crisp Dye Ink - Jet Black
Crisp Dye Ink - Jet Black
Purchase From:
SSS | ALW
Crystal Clear Embossing Powder
Crystal Clear Embossing Powder
Purchase From:
ALW
Crisp Dye Ink - Chamomile
Crisp Dye Ink - Chamomile
Purchase From:
ALW
Soda Top Nesting Dies
Soda Top Nesting Dies
Purchase From:
ALW
Pure White Crisp Embossing Powder
Pure White Crisp Embossing Powder
Purchase From:
ALW
Crisp Dye Ink - Warm Sunshine
Crisp Dye Ink - Warm Sunshine
Purchase From:
SSS | ALW
Geometric Menagerie Stamp & Die Set
Geometric Menagerie Stamp & Die Set
Purchase From:
ALW
Moroccan Mosiac Stamp Set
Moroccan Mosiac Stamp Set
Purchase From:
ALW
Crisp Dye Ink - Evergreen
Crisp Dye Ink - Evergreen
Purchase From:
ALW
Embossing Ink
Embossing Ink
Purchase From:
ALW
Ocean Waves Crisp Diye Ink
Ocean Waves Crisp Diye Ink
Purchase From:
ALW
Buttercream Crisp Dye Ink
Buttercream Crisp Dye Ink
Purchase From:
ALW
Rouge Crisp Dye Ink
Rouge Crisp Dye Ink
Purchase From:
ALW
Ruby Red Crisp Dye Ink
Ruby Red Crisp Dye Ink
Purchase From:
ALW
Grapevine Crisp Dye Ink
Grapevine Crisp Dye Ink
Purchase From:
ALW
Paper Bag Crisp Dye Ink
Paper Bag Crisp Dye Ink
Purchase From:
ALW
Arctic Crisp Dye Ink
Arctic Crisp Dye Ink
Purchase From:
ALW
Caribbean Sky Crisp Dye Ink
Caribbean Sky Crisp Dye Ink
Purchase From:
ALW
Modern Fox Stamp Set
Modern Fox Stamp Set
Purchase From:
ALW
Floral Sprig Stamp Set
Floral Sprig Stamp Set
Purchase From:
ALW
Spectacular Adventures Stamp and Die Set
Spectacular Adventures Stamp and Die Set
Purchase From:
ALW

4 comments:

Erum Tasneem said...

I love the cards you have created, esp the first and the shaker one. Thank you for creating a variety of designs. And for submitting your wonderful work to the AECP assignment gallery.

Peri said...

Brilliant set of cards!

Fikreta said...

Gorgeous cards!

Jan said...

Truly artistic created cards!!! Wonderful - especially the glasses!!!
Paper Hugs,
Jan